Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thing 18: Facebook and MySpace

I'll have to admit, I get a certain bit of happiness when someone becomes my "friend" on MySpace or Facebook. It's like a tangible proclamation that we ARE friends.

Yay! You like me!

I use Facebook the most these days; mainly to catch up with college buddies that have moved on to glamorous world destinations while I stay in quiet little St. Augustine. They post pictures of themselves with celebrities and I post pictures of my kids.

I've joined a few library related groups on Facebook (I can thank Jae for turning me on to most of the cool widgets and stuff there). Ask a Librarian is there with a direct link to the service. I think that is the best way to use Facebook.

It makes sense to develop a presence there reminding friends of your good deeds and upcoming activities. Like I said on my Twitter post, I've fallen in love with the "microblogging" feature of the status update. Wouldn't it be cool to create a presence for your library and post things like,

"SJCPLS is really looking forward to the Florida Heritage Book Festival this weekend!"

"Clifford had a wonderful time at Storytime this morning."

"Did you know the Main Library benefited from 455 volunteer hours in March. Awesome!"

"Have you hugged your Librarian today?"

See? Cute and useful!

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
St. Augustine, Florida
Children's Librarian